I. HATE. COLDS. They make you feel miserable for days (weeks for the flu) and keep you off the courts… and we’re smack in the middle of cold and flu season!
But did you know there are things other than an unappetising pill that can dramatically reduce — maybe even prevent — us from getting sick in the first place?
Enter this delicious layered smoothie.
You probably already know this, but Vitamin C is one of the biggest natural defenses against colds and flu. But you need to have lots of it daily in order to get your immune system ready to fight. Most people take oral vitamins, which is fine… but do they taste delicious?
This citrus smoothie has everything you need to kick sickness butt and keep you on the tennis court… AND I’m gonna share it with you right now!
First of all, it’s too pretty NOT to share.
Second, it’s too full of healthy goodness not to share.
And lastly… it’s way too freaking delicious not to share!
The red layer is a mix of beets (you heard that right… BEETS!), frozen raspberries, oranges, and pomegranate juice. This might sound really weird, but this layer is full some of my most favorite fruits and veggies. Granted, I usually prefer my beets roasted, but when they’re all blended up, you can’t even taste ’em! Especially with the sweet berries and pomegranate. It’s super delicious!
Then, there’s the orangey-yellow layer which is a mixture of mangos, oranges, ginger, turmeric, a pinch of cayenne, and more oranges. This probably sounds a little weird, too — especially the cayenne — but y’all, I’m telling you… it’s SO GOOD! The mango pairs perfectly with the turmeric and ginger, and its sweetness cancels out the heat from the cayenne. And the pop of citrus adds just the right amount of tartness.
The great thing about this smoothie is that you can use any variety of citrus you want; I use a combination of blood oranges and cara cara oranges. If you can’t find either of these, grapefruit and navel oranges taste amazing too!
As you can probably tell from the ingredients, this smoothie is loaded with 249% of the daily recommendation of Vitamin C and plenty of nutrients like fiber and antioxidants. It will keep your immune system strong and help you to feel your best and stay energized all day long!
Um… and did I mention it’s also addictingly good?
This makes for a great morning or mid afternoon snack that you can enjoy every day — and it’ll help keep the doctor away!
Immune-Boosting Citrus Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 small raw red beet chopped
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 cara cara orange blood orange, or grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- honey to taste optional
- 1. In a blender, combine the mango, lemon juice, turmeric, cayenne, ginger, and orange juice. Blend until completely smooth, adding more honey if needed to sweeten. Pour into a tall glass
- 2. Rinse the blender out. Combine the beets, raspberries, orange, and pomegranate juice. Blend until smooth and creamy, adding more pomegranate juice if needed to reach your desired consistency. Pour over the mango mixture and stir gently to swirl.