Connect with us

Coronavirus Outbreak Cancels Another WTA Tournament

cancelations of WTA tournaments

WTA

Coronavirus Outbreak Cancels Another WTA Tournament

With 70 countries being affected by the coronavirus outbreak and the death toll globally rising to more than 3,100, feared has gripped the entire world. With most of the outbreak being in China, it is no real surprise that the WTA tournament Kunming Open in Anning has been canceled. This is the second tournament cancellation due to the coronavirus.

The town of Anning is 820 miles away from Wuhan, the epicenter of coronavirus. The 125K series tournament was scheduled to place from April 27 through May 3, 2020.

China’s dilemma to host WTA events

coronavirus canceling events in china

PHOTO SOURCE: Getty Images

A spokesperson for the WTA said:

“This decision has been made in the best interest of our players, tournament and WTA staff and fans. We look forward to competing in Anning in 2021, along with the 2020 WTA Tour events that are scheduled to take place this fall.”

In China alone, more than 80,000 cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed, with more than 2,200 resulting in death. With the seriousness of the epidemic escalating this month, the WTA event in Xi’an, China was canceled back on February 20, 2020. It was solely due to the outbreak and seriousness of coronavirus in the nation of China.

“We are watching the situation closely as there isn’t anything more important than protecting the health of our WTA community, as well as our Chinese fans and supporters. We continue to communicate with medical experts as information evolves on this virus and we will continue to remain vigilant in managing this challenging situation.”

The COVID-19 cases are skyrocketing in the continent of Asia, and threatening the Tokyo Olympics 2020. Presently, the hosting country, Japan has 271 confirmed cases.

RELATED:
Twitter Reacts After Caroline Wozniacki Plays For The Last Time, And We're Still Crying

Rafael Nadal on Coronavirus

rafael nadal

Rafael Nadal | PHOTO SOURCE: Associated Press

World Number two Rafael Nadal raised his concerns regarding the dreadful situation which the entire world is going through. He also expressed his hopes that everything goes according to the plan at Tokyo Games 2020.

“I hope it is controlled, that a remedy is found and this uncertainty is stopped, this psychosis, this fear. It is the most important thing, not only for the Olympic Games but for humanity. The Olympic Games is one of the most special events in the world.”

The Olympic Games will begin on July 25, 2020, and IOC (International Olympic Committee) President Thomas Bach and olympic organizers have stated they won’t cancel or postpone the quadrennial event amid coronavirus outbreak. However, there have been other member of the committee that have suggested cancelling or moving the Olympics is a possibility.

RELATED:
'Herstory' Is Made: For the First Time, 3 Moms Are in the US Open Quarterfinals

IOC member Dick Pound said last week that a decision on the Olympics will come as late as May. The games are still four months away, so the committee does have a significant amount of time before reaching a decision. Meanwhile, the coronavirus has already been linked to 12 deaths in Japan while schools have cancelled classes and other sporting events have been postponed in the country.

Tennis Life Magazine was created by tennis players, for tennis players, offering everything a recreational players needs to perform and feel their best, both on and off the courts: tennis tips, tennis-specific workouts, tennis gear and fashion reviews, health and wellness tips, healthy recipes for athletes, motivation, tennis news, and more!

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More in WTA

To Top